All of these apps and services include live tv streaming on the iPhone 6 as well as on other iPhone models running iOS 8 or higher.
To get the most out of what you pay for you will need to download several live TV apps and you may need to subscribe to another service. There are many other TV apps for the iPhone, but most will not give you access to live TV.
With the right Live TV apps for iPhone you can watch news, sports and your favorite TV shows without waiting for it to arrive on Hulu Plus or on another service.
25 Best Live TV iPhone Apps
Most of these apps let you watch live TV onÂ iPhone over 4G, 4G LTE and on WiFi without any restrictions, but a few will only fully work at home on your own WiFi.
If you already pay for cable or satellite TV there are a lot of apps that you can log into with your username and password to watch Live TV on the iPhone, in addition to the channels that the official company app offers.
Cord cutters can still watch live TV onÂ iPhone with the right subscriptions, but the options are limited compared to a traditional cable or satellite subscription.
Cable and Satellite Apps for Live TV on iPhone
When you pay for cable you often get access to a company app that includes a variety of channels that you can stream to watch live TV on iPhone and other devices. The channels vary from one company to the next. You will need to check out the other network specific apps to watch everything you want live on the iPhone and this is especially true for watching sports live on iPhone or iPad.
Most of these apps let you watch Live TV without any added fee, but you may need to pay a monthly fee for some of the cell phone carrier options depending on your current plan.
AT&T U Verse Live TV
Use theÂ AT&T U Verse iPhone app to watch live TV on iPhone from anywhere. The free app and service includes a number of channels that you can watch anywhere, but there are even more channels to watch when you are connected to your home network. Login to see what you can watch on theÂ AT&T U Verse Live TV app. Download AT&T UVerse Live TV for iPhone.
The DirecTV iPhone app lets you watch live TV on yourÂ iPhone at home or on the go. The app warns users that streaming over cellular connections uses data, but it does not stop users from watching live TV on theÂ iPhone from anywhere.Â You cannot watch every show that is on your package, butÂ there is a decent selection. Download the DirecTV iPhone App.
Time Warner Cable TV
Recent updates make using the TWC TV app to watch live TV on iPhone even easier with a new preview window so you can see what you are already watching while you check out the guide. There are options to watch some Live TV and On Demand content on your iPhone while on cellular, but for others you need to be at home. There is also now an option to sort live streaming by local channel number for easier access.Â Download the TWC TV App.
The Charter TV app lets you watch 43 live TV channelsÂ onÂ iPhone from anywhere and over 150 live channels when you are on your Charter home network connection. Charter also lets users download TV shows to watch offline later as part of this app.Â Download Charter TV for iPhone.
Cox TV Connect
The Cox TV Connect iPhone app lets subscribers watch some live TV channels on the iPhone, but this is more limited than the iPad app and many will only work inside your house. This is free with your Cox TV Essential and higher subscriptions. Download Cox TV Connect forÂ iPhone.
With DISH Anywhere and a Hopper with Sling, 922 Slingloaded DVR and other Hopper with Sling adapter DVR options you can use this app to watch live tv onÂ iPhone and iPad. With this option you can watch any channel that is part of your dish subscription and access your DVR as if you were in your house. There is also an option to transfer DVR recordings to yourÂ iPhone. Download the DISH Anywhere iPhone app.
Verizon FIOS Mobile
The Verizon FIOS Mobile app includes access to live TV on the iPhone. The channel selection varies based on your subscription and where you are watching. Some channels only work at home, some work while you are traveling and if you are in NYC, NJ, Philadelphia or DC you can also stream select local channels live to iPhone or iPad.Download Verizon FIOS Mobile for iPhone.
XFINITY TV Go App
The XFINITY TV GO App allows you to stream tv shows and movies from a variety of channels that you subscribe to. You can also download some shows to watch while you are offline. If you are a X1 subscriber you need to XFINITY TV App instead of the TV Go app. Download XFINITY TV GO app for iPhone.
Sprint TV for iPhone
Sprint subscribers with a data plan can watch live TV on the iPhone from Fox News, Fox Business, AP, NBC News and other channels. There are also on demand options available. Sprint sells seven premium packages from $2.99 to $9.99 a month depending what you want to watch.Â Download Sprint TV for iPhone.
Live TV on iPhone for Cable Cutters
While there isn’t a great free TV streaming app for iPhone that works without any type of subscription cord-cutters can use Sling TV as an option to get access to Live TV on iPhone.
For $20 a month you can subscribe to Sling TV and watch live tv on iPhone including ESPN, AMC TV and many other channels. This is a good complement to other services that cord cutters may already use and you can watch these channels live on your iPhone and other devices. You can only watch on one device at a time, but for many users this is enough. Download Sling TV for iPhone.
Network Apps to Watch Live TV onÂ iPhone
If you already have a cable subscription or satellite subscription you can also stream Live TV on the iPhone with network apps and in some cases watch On demand shows. At least one of these apps lets you watch before the show is live on TV.
- Comedy Central Â â€“ Watch some shows live and others before they are on TV.
- CBS â€“Â Subscribe to CBS All Access for live TV streaming from select local CBS stations.
- Watch ABC â€“ Watch ABC live on your iPhone inÂ Chicago, Fresno, Houston, Los Angeles, New York City, Philadelphia, Raleigh-Durham and San Francisco.
- Watch Disney Channel â€“ Watch live Disney TV shows from your iPhone.
- Watch Tru TV â€“ Login with your cable or satellite username and watch east coast or west coast feeds of Tru TV.
You can check to see if your subscription works by downloading the app and attempting to sign in. If you don’t see your company listed you may not be able to use these apps.
Watch Live Sports onÂ iPhone
There are also a lot of opportunities to watch live sports on the iPhone. You will need a subscription to some type of service for any of these to work. Either through your cable subscriber or through your cell phone company.
- Watch ESPN â€“ Login with your cable username and password to watch ESPN live on the iPhone with many channel options.
- NFL Sunday Ticket â€“ DirecTV subscribers can pay extra for the option to watch live NFL games on iPhone and other devices with NFL Sunday Ticket.
- MLB at Bat â€“ MLB at Bat is available with an added subscription to watch your favorite MLB teams play live on the iPhone.
- NBA Game Time â€“ NBA games are also live on the iPhone with NBA GameTime and a subscription that unlocks live streaming.
- NFL App on Verizon â€“ Verizon Wireless customers on a Share Everything plan get access to live NFL games on the iPhone with this app.
- NBC Sports Live Extra â€“ Login with your TV subscription information to watch NBC Sports Live Extra on your iPhone.
- Univision Desportes â€“ Watch many soccer games live on your iPhone with Univision Desportes once you log in with a cable or satellite username and password.
The access to some of these may vary due to antiquated blackout rules and other annoying sports-specific restrictions.
Premium Live TV Apps for iPhone
If you pay for HBO or Showtime you can watch new episodes of original programming live on your iPhone at the same time it airs on TV. You’ll need a subscription and the corresponding app.
- HBO Go â€“ HBO Go works with a cable or Satellite subscription and includes on demand and live access.
- HBO Now â€“ This works on iPhone, iPad and Apple TV and it is available without a cable subscription.
- Showtime â€“ Showtime offers options with or without a cable subscription to see live original programming and access to on demand shows and movies.
If you want to use one of these services, you can always ask your cable or satellite provider for deals that can help keep the price down, at least for the start.